By Evans Thomas
What is the recommended method for powering the Devastator, Arduino and 1 servo? I am using a 9.6 volt NiMH battery. The 9.6 volts supplies the voltage input of the Arduino, l317 adjustable regulator set at 7.0 volts for the DC motors and 5 volts from the Arduino for the servos.

Thanks for your help.
I would like to have additionnal information to power a similar project:

I came to understand that I'd need at least 2 power supply to power the robot correctly: 1 for the Arduino and 1 for the motors. What should be done for the servo? Should it be power by the arduino (but I understood that this wasn't great)? Or should I find a way to take the power from the powersupply of the motor (probably adapting the Voltage to fit the needs of the servo)?
Actually, I'll abuse a bit more of your time! :)

Still related to power and the Devastator Kit:
Inside, there is a battery holder ( 6AA (1.5V) ), I assume that it was there to power the included motors, but the motors have an operating voltage range of 3~7.5V which seems incompatible with the 9V the battery holder is supposed to deliver. Was I wrong about assuming the battery holder was there for the motors?

Thanks for the help!
By Leff
Hi,

In this case, should I find a way to take the power from the power supply of the motor (probably adapting the Voltage to fit the needs of the servo)? this would be recommended by me.

And the servo should be powered by another adapter since it will draw a lot of current, it may make damage to the board (bootloader lost)

So as you mentioned the battery holder, we could take it as one power source. It could used for (arduino+DC motors), while servo should be powered by another one since the servo power_in jack is not connected with other power_in jacks, have a look at its schematic would help you understand that (besides, according to my view, most servo don't accept 9V power supply, but 4.8-6V).
By the way, as I just made the test:

it seems that powering the arduino with the battery holder of 6AAs allows to power the arduino and use the pins on it to power the servo and the 2 motors correctly.

Probably not a good long term strategy, but it works for the first trial of the robot