By 398120416
The battery life is always the problem to be solved around the world! From another dimension, DFRobot developed low-power-consumption FireBeetle series - a product truly solves the "power supply problem" and makes the development board and accessories become more "electricity-saving".

Theme: Challenging low power consumption!

5 types of FireBeetle series (5 sets in total) are available to be applied for open test in the whole network.

All engineers shall grasp this opportunity for trial use!

What is low-power-consumption FireBeetle series?

FireBeetle series adopts ultra-low power consumption peripheral hardware and is in design of small-size compatibility interface, allowing fast and convenient construction of Internet of Things(IoT) platform.

In short, FireBeetle is a type of simple IoT development platform easy to use and a development hardware series featuring low power consumption. We aim to provide smart hardware hobbyists, interactive art designers and electronic software engineers with simple development experience. For example, a simple IoT project—smart flower watering device detects the soil temperature real-timely. In case the humidity is less than 300 (example parameter), the device will automatically control the water suction pump to water the flowers, and will upload the data to the network every 5 minutes. The software at the mobile terminal (e.g. Blynk). Of course, you may also install some temperature and humidity sensors on the flower watering device, to detect the ambient environment.

Some examples of FireBeetle series

FireBeetle series has three categories: Board (main control type), Covers (extension board type) and Accessories (peripheral accessories). The Board (main control type) uses MCU having high performance, low power consumption and wireless transmission function, e.g. ESP32, Bluno, as the core control chip; Covers, including LED dot matrix, I2S audio drive and GPS/GPRS/SIM, etc., provides abundant peripherals for the main board; Accessories include extensible peripheral hardware, e.g., pin header with the spacing of 2.54mm, female header, LED light and keys.

Note: Relevant products of FireBeetle series are still being developed.

We selected FireBeetle Board-ESP32 main controller, extension board, LED dot matrix display screen and two pro prototype boards this time. You may use them for wearable project to maintain longer power supply duration; for IoT project, you can acquire the data conveniently; you may also use them for long-period project, which is also a good choice with very high cost performance…. You may carry out the project which was impossible for trial before due to electric quantity problem.

Links to Product Wiki:
[DFR0478]FireBeetle ESP32 IOT Microcontroller (Supports Wi-Fi & Bluetooth)
[DFR0483]FireBeetle Covers-Gravity I/O Expansion Shield
[DFR0484]FireBeetle Covers-24×8 LED Matrix (White)

The instruction on test of fruit battery is attached:
How to Make a Low-Power-Consumption Fruit Battery By Use Of A Firebeetle Board-ESP32 (you may try it if you are interested)

What can you use FireBeetle series for?

1. Wearable project
2. IoT
3. Smart home control system
4. Aeromodelling
5. More…

Maybe this is why you need the FireBeetle Series?

Without FireBeetle Series: A power supply solution needed to be provided to MCU for the wearable project.
With FireBeetle Series: Firebeetle series is equipped with main 3.7V lithium battery interface which allows charging through USB and may be connected to the solution such as wireless charging module.

Without FireBeetle Series: here were few main boards having low power consumption on the market.
With FireBeetle Series: Firebeetle series uses such advanced main board as ESP32 and has many function expansions.

Without FireBeetle Series: There were only low-power-consumption main boards but no complete set of accessories on the market.
With FireBeetle Series: Firebeetle series has numerous products in three categories: Board (main control type), Covers (extension board type) and Accessories (peripheral accessories) now. We will also develop more products in the future.

Without FireBeetle Series: The total data acquisition duration of IoT could not be met.
With FireBeetle Series: Firebeetle series is precisely a small IoT node. For example, for testing the soil humidity, you may set it reporting the electric quantity once a hour and set low power consumption in other time. Whereas, for the low-power-consumption node, you shall consider whether the power supply of battery can meet long-time test.

Without FireBeetle Series: The power duration of on-line smart home control could not be met
With FireBeetle Series: Firebeetle series is connected with the Internet and can be controlled as MCU. That means, you can fast build the smart home control system with FireBeetle series, and it is also easy to build the remote household appliance monitoring system, because our FireBeetle series is compatible with pin2pin.

Without FireBeetle Series: It was difficult to carry out long-period project such as aeromodelling
With FireBeetle Series: FireBeetle series uses lora module, allowing communication for several kilometers. The lora module +ESP32 development board can upload the aeromodelling data to the network, greatly facilitating on-line data analysis.

Product for FreeTrial

1、[DFR0478]FireBeetle ESP32 IOT Microcontroller (Supports Wi-Fi & Bluetooth)    X1
2、[DFR0481]FireBeetle Covers-Proto Board    X1
3、[DFR0482]FireBeetle Covers-Proto Board Doubler    X1
4、[DFR0483]FireBeetle Covers-Gravity I/O Expansion Shield   X1
5、[DFR0484]FireBeetle Covers-24×8 LED Matrix (White)    X1

Number of products for open test 

5 sets

Application deadline

June 15 – June 30

Application Method

The applicant may follow up the post to reply "Description on Applying FireBeetle Series for ______Project + Feasible Trial Project". Please describe as detailed as possible.

*Those with project experience will be preferred!

For the convenience of timely contact and communication, please pay attention to the message notification of the DFRobot community.

Requirements for Submittal

1. After receiving FireBeetle series product, please remember to issue the unpacking experience in the DFRobot community or your social media channels :)

2. Post the completed project.
There are several ways you can do this:
- Post the completed project for application in form of dfrobot accompanied with pictures (videos preferred) at the DFRobot's community within one month (July 10).
Title form: sharing your dfrobot to the communication with the title “【Challenging FireBeetle series】+your project name”,
- Release on other websites such as Instructables, Hackster IO, Hackaday, and then post the link on the DFRobot community within one month (July 10).

*In case of force majeure, you need to apply delaying in advance.

* The project post will be deemed as invalid if perfunctory, and you will be ordered to return all products for trial use to DFRobot. You will be disqualified for good if refusing to cooperate with us.

Issue of list

We will issue the list of successful applicants for trial use at the forefront of the post and home page of the communication within 3 working days after the deadline, and we will notify all applicants in form of message or email.

If you had any question, please contact marketing@dfrobot.com.
Hello! I'd like to apply for the free trial FireBeetle hardware. I'm currently developing a formicarium for housing ant colonies. I planned to integrate some sensors in the formicarium to monitor temperatures, humidity, and ant activity which would be delivered to Azure IoT cloud services for remote monitoring and analysis. Each formicarium will be battery powered and charged with a solar cell. Eventually, a second model of this device would be created that could be deployed in the field for remote monitoring of wild colonies. The FireBeetle looks like a very good candidate controller for this project and I'd love to participate with this project. Also, the FireBeetle is an appropriate name for this project! Thanks for your consideration.

Thanks,
Ian
Title: Portable/wearable Health Monitoring System based on Internet of things
This system continuously monitor the health status of a person. The application of this system is remotely monitoring the babies or old person who lives in alone. The system is directly connected to the IoT cloud, as a result anyone can such as (doctors, relatives etc) monitor their health condition remotely in real time. The health parameter of a person that we monitor using this device are Heart-Rate in BPM, Temperature, SPO2 level and humidity.

The Firebeetle development board along with some sensors will be for developing this project.

I will also developed a mobile application for real time data visualization. The application directly connected to the IoT Cloud and shows the real-time data that comes from health monitoring device. The on-board Wifi will be helpful for connecting this device to the cloud.

The mobile application shows the data using some charts such as Sparkline and gauges.
The application is helpful for monitoring babies and older people.

The Block Diagram of the system
Please check the attachments.

The Mobile application for remote monitoring
please check the attachment
hackster profile: https://www.hackster.io/salahuddin

Best,
Salah Uddin
Attachments
final.png
The Prototype Mobile Application
block_diagram.jpg
The Block Diagram of the System
Last edited by akash.bangla on Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EMME robot - Technology is not complicated
A robot without cables or connectors, usable on the street, off road, on water and under water!

I´m a maker from Calpe/Spain and now I have a Kickstarter Campaign of my Emme Robot, I´m going to make Emme and open source robot for Education Projects.

Now I want to migrate the robot from ATSAMD21 from Atmel to ESP32, your new hardware looks great and I need to test Emme Offroad, on the water and underwater, at the same time I want control Emme and receive his sensors data "accelerometer, compass, GPS, light and movement" from the Cloud.

I think Emme its a very good project to test your new hardware, each part has its own battery, microprocessor, and electronics. You can see more at the Kickstarter campaign:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/si ... escription
Attachments
Prisma_color.jpg
Laterales.jpg
13.JPG
08.JPG
_JF_9328.JPG
The FireBeetle series will be used to create an air quality monitoring and alarm system. The devices will communicate to a local Wireless AP and then using MQTT, log all data to a central MySql database hosted in AWS. This will have a website and helper apps to send SMS and email alerts based on default parameters. The devices will use bluetooth for local configuration and user information when a user with the compatible app is in range (Other standard Bluetooth profiles will be supported if possible once initial hardware is tested)

The Database and Web site is already operational and being tested with functionally equivalent prototypes (see image below)

Additional project items:
  • Base board for additional shields (like doubler) but with enclosure ready power and I/O expansion
  • GSM shield
  • Enclosure with space for 2x16 LCD
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-06-20 at 12.54.46 PM.png
I am lecturer in Department of Computer Engineering in Syiah Kuala University (http://komputer.unsyiah.ac.id/). My students are working on several IoT products/system in the area of precision farming to help farmers in developing countries increase their yield and better manage their farm and livestocks. One major issue we have is with power consumption for our devices and, based on the given description, we think Firebeetle might be the solution. Thus we would like to apply for this free trial to experiment with the device.

A video of the prototype we are developing and its general technical description can be seen here: https://youtu.be/Bp2Xv7GqqsY
The system uses a combination of: Arduino, Esp8266, and Raspberry Pi.

I think we are a good candidate for your trial because:
1. We have an almost complete/ready system that can quickly be ported to your device and can quickly conduct a field trial;
2. It will give your device exposure to our research community and students, making them potential future users; and
3. The low power nature of your device is attractive to me, and several other lecturers, to potentially include in our Embedded System/IoT courses.

My University profile page can be seen here: http://fsd.unsyiah.ac.id/rahmad/ .
By Bates Myles
Hello,

I am working on a project that I would like to try this for. The project is a 3D printed bionic arm which will soon be accessible from the SolidWorks website, as well as other online forums. This uses muscle sensors to activate servos or actuators depending on which model is chosen. The design will be compact, wearable and must consume low power to extend battery life. Please check out my video on YouTube about the project at: https://youtu.be/hozq65_6dlA .

Many thanks,
Myles Bates
Bates Design
Hello DFROBOT community
I am currently working on iot devices, I am doing projects with the Blynk platform and the boards arduino 101 and raspberry pi zero w, are ideal because of their bluetooth connectivity, and I have some projects published in Hackster.io. My idea is to make a medicine vending machine called "Medimatik" with the technology of raspberry pi zero w as a server and the FireBeetle ESP32 IOT Microcontroller to realize the vending machine. On a web page or in a blynk application, the database of available medicines and quantity would appear. As well as the location of medicine in hospitals in the city. With this tool the doctors in my city could give prescriptions of medicines available and thus avoid going to places with the medicine exhausted. The application would give notifications to people who need a certain medicine. In my experience, when I go to the hospital it is quite common that the medicines that I have to take are depleted and I go crazy to the pharmacies of other medical centers without luck.
By david
I have been experimenting and building IoT devices, specifically LPWAN devices. These require as little power as possible, to extend the battery life for months or years. I would love the opportunity to see how low powered a device I can make using your FireBeetle Series board.

I can even test the actual power consumption with this:
http://www.eevblog.com/projects/ucurrent/

I am also working with a friend, to build a local implementation of The Things Network, to demonstrate the capability of LoraWAN and a new easy IoT patform.
https://daghanacay.github.io/iot/osgi/2 ... Ready.html

Your board could also be utilised to build my own LoraWAN gateway, using the ESP in the FireBeetle. Would only need some small modification to this example:
https://github.com/things4u/ESP-1ch-Gateway

I love hardware and love to experiment with new tech, as it is realised. Look forward to seeing the FireBeetle and hopefully I get the chance to build some Lora add-ons.
By belix.yang
Thank you for your application.
We really admire your amazing and interesting projects. It has been a really tough time for us to have to pick only five projects.
We have sent mail to those chosen users to confirm with your delivery address. Please kindly check it.
We also are grateful to other participants and welcome your next participation.
All the best,
DFRobot Team