General

GPS/GPRS/GSM Module V3.0 - GSM Module Won't Power

userHead ajprameswari 2015-05-04 05:56:58 5388 Views5 Replies
Hi, I am working on a project which uses both GSM and GPS and I am using the GPS/GPRS/GSM Module V3.0 on my Arduino Uno R3. I'm new to Arduino and this is my first time using GSM or GPS modules.

So, I read on the http://www.dfrobot.com/wiki/index.php/GPS/GPRS/GSM_Module_V3.0_%28SKU:TEL0051%29 that "It is recommended you to supply 7~12v power via the power jack. When using the GSM mode, the module requires an external power" thus I provide my Arduino with an external 9V/1A DC Power Adapter via its power jack.

But before that this is what happened :
1. I tried the How to drive the "GSM Mode via USB port" without using an external power, which is this one
Code: Select all
// Product name: GPS/GPRS/GSM Module V3.0
// # Product SKU : TEL0051
// # Version : 0.1

// # Description:
// # The sketch for driving the gsm mode via the USB interface

// # Steps:
// # 1. Turn the S1 switch to the Prog(right side)
// # 2. Turn the S2 switch to the USB side(left side)
// # 3. Set the UART select switch to middle one.
// # 4. Upload the sketch to the Arduino board(Make sure turn off other Serial monitor )
// # 5. Turn the S1 switch to the comm(left side)
// # 6. RST the board

// # wiki link- http://www.dfrobot.com/wiki/index.php/GPS/GPRS/GSM_Module_V3.0_(SKU:TEL0051)

void setup()
{
//Init the driver pins for GSM function
pinMode(3,OUTPUT);
pinMode(4,OUTPUT);
pinMode(5,OUTPUT);
//Output GSM Timing
digitalWrite(5,HIGH);
delay(1500);
digitalWrite(5,LOW);
}
void loop()
{
// Use these commands instead of the hardware switch 'UART select' in order to enable each mode
// If you want to use both GMS and GPS. enable the required one in your code and disable the other one for each access.
digitalWrite(3,LOW);//enable GSM TX、RX
digitalWrite(4,HIGH);//disable GPS TX、RX
}

it uploaded successfully but it seemed like the GSM won't power / ready because it only stated GPS Ready on the serial monitor, here is what I got so far
RDY

+CFUN: 1

+CPIN: READY

GPS Ready

2. Next time, I tried to upload my code first and changed the S1 to comm and plug the external power, then it showed on my serial monitor
NORMAL POWER DOWN

I tried to unplug it and it worked to the point it got stuck again at the GSM part won't ready.

So, is there anyone could point me if I did anything wrong or help me through this problem? As I read some people seemed to get this shield to work.. Do I need to provide lower voltage power?

Any help and response would really be appreciated thank you very much.
2015-05-08 18:04:12 Hi,

I haven't tried something like this, you could find following instruction in the wiki page: ;)

Set the switch in middle position(latest version) in order to control the GSM / GPS by software.
Enable GPS mode & disable GSM mode:
digitalWrite(4,LOW);//Enable GPS mode
digitalWrite(3,HIGH);//Disable GSM mode
Enable GSM mode & disable GPS mode:
digitalWrite(3,LOW);//Enable GSM mode
digitalWrite(4,HIGH);//Disable GPS mode
Note that you could control GPS through the GSM AT commands, without requiring to enable both independently. This way you can let the GPS enabled while using GSM network. Thus not triggering a GPS reset.
userHeadPic Leff
2015-05-07 23:48:11 Hi again Ieff,

Thank you, again your suggestion managed to get me uploading the code! :D
You're right, I should have paid attention to the switch before uploading the code. So the error was solved!

I tried the GPS, and it worked! Haven't tried disconnecting the external power supply though, I need to try it first and will update.
Now I'm moving into trying to get the GPS data and send it to a web server, like this example. Have you tried it Ieff? I'm a bit confused on where the switches should be at.

1. Say that I want to use both the GSM and GPRS, so I need to leave the UART Select in the middle? And enable it in code when needed?
2. And.. always put the S1 at Prog when making changes in the arduino code and before uploading it, then always put the S1 after?
3. The S2.. if I am controlling the modules via AT Commands inside the code, meaning that it should always be at the Arduino side?

Thank you again, sorry for making quite a fuss here :(
userHeadPic ajprameswari
2015-05-07 11:36:00 hi,

It's great to hear your problem was solved. :)

And the GPS is much easier than GSM function I think.

1 It doesn't need any external power supply, surely it won't be a problem if you do that.

2 The problem of uploading sketch is for the "S1"(should be at the 'Prog' side), since you have noticed that, I suggest that to unplug the usb cable and power supply, and re-plug usb cable again to GSM/GPS module, and have a try.
userHeadPic Leff
2015-05-07 04:02:30
leff wrote:Hi,

It's a little hard to get start. But don't worry, you could control it by following the wiki page step by step. Note: you'd better keep an eye on the s1,s2,s3 switchs choosing. ;)

For your problem.
1 did you insert a good GSM card before it ? And what's the state of the LED?
2 NORMAL POWER DOWN , In this situation, just press the button"reset", and see what would happen?

Hi Ieff, thank you so much for responding!
After I see your suggestion to press RST button, I did that when I got the NORMAL POWER DOWN warning, then it finally showed the "Call ready"! Then, I tried to do it from the beginning again and I waited for maybe 10-20s without pressing the RST button, no error showed up and it got straight to the "Call ready" message, tried the SMS and Call it worked like a charm. Thanks! So I thought there is no problem with my GSM card to answer your #1 question :D
Now I can move on to the next step and tried the GPS.

However, I always get an error every time I upload the code when the connected power adapter (9V/1A DC) is turned on. So I upload the code first, turn the connected power (from my wall socket to the power jack on Arduino) on, switch the S1 to get to the point where all the GSM functionality worked up. Is this normal though?

Here is the error message:
Code: Select all
avrdude: Version 6.0.1, compiled on Mar 30 2015 at 14:56:06

Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/

Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : COM19

Using Programmer              : arduino

Overriding Baud Rate          : 115200

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x8e

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x8e

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x8e

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x8e

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x8e

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x8e

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x8e

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x8e

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x8e

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x8e

avrdude done.  Thank you.

Do you give the external power later after the code is uploaded too? Oh and I tried the GPS code but it still only showed "RDY" .. for this GPS to get its position from satelites, is it normal to take longer than >2mins?
userHeadPic ajprameswari
2015-05-04 18:36:09 Hi,

It's a little hard to get start. But don't worry, you could control it by following the wiki page step by step. Note: you'd better keep an eye on the s1,s2,s3 switchs choosing. ;)

For your problem.
1 did you insert a good GSM card before it ? And what's the state of the LED?
2 NORMAL POWER DOWN , In this situation, just press the button"reset", and see what would happen?
userHeadPic Leff