Bluno General Arduino

Re: Characteristic DFB1 is missing 0x2902 Descriptor

userHead Leff 2016-06-06 18:32:26 21240 Views28 Replies
Hi Sir,

Sorry what do you mean by talking DFB1 charactor, do u find a bug in our firmware or something?
2024-02-09 20:10:01

Is there any reason technical reason why this descriptor was "deprecated" ?

userHeadPic clopg.sane
2023-08-30 18:00:28

Hi , I'm also facing similar issues. 

userHeadPic cunez.stun
2023-08-28 19:18:04

I can also confirm that the iOS demo only receives 1 byte, perhaps unrelated, though.

Behold the endless list of frustration the missing descriptor has caused,

https://github.com/DFRobot/BLE_firmware_V1.9/issues/5

https://github.com/hbldh/bleak/issues/632

https://github.com/pauldemarco/flutter_blue/issues/185

https://github.com/Jakeler/ble-serial/issues/57

“Perverse” probably defines the firmware better than “preserved”. This is clearly a deliberate design choice as per the docs and this thread, but with no rationale to justify the “easy to use” narrative, unless 0x2902 implementation is persecuted in the country of manufacture? DFRobot also happens to produce those “BLE link”s which do the exact thing and are linked up in the docs for purchase – pretty weird coincidence, huh?

One does not dub it “customised BLE” when it is violating SHALL clauses in the standard i.e. not BLE interoperable at all. Shame that we are stuck with this holy piece of “open-source hardware” with neither open firmware nor standard conformance.

userHeadPic SuibianP
2016-07-03 16:44:37 Hi , I'm also facing similar issues. Even in iOS/OSX, after set notify, there is no notification and read byte is only 1 byte... userHeadPic Chua Davidson
2016-06-16 14:11:30 Hi Don,
We are so pleasure that you could add support for Bluno.
We will feed back this feather to our R&D teams.
Thank you. It is really a rational advice!
userHeadPic Angelo.Qiao
2016-06-16 11:34:12 Thank you don.coleman,

Very thankful for your suggestion. I will let our team know that. Thanks again.
userHeadPic Leff

userHeadPic Leff

userHeadPic Leff
2016-06-12 17:36:15 Hi Don,
Bluno is a customised BLE device.
We may dismiss some functions so as to make BLE device easy to use.
For the time being, we may only recommend to use other plugin. Or ask the plugin owner make a patch on it.
userHeadPic Angelo.Qiao
For the time being, we may only recommend to use other plugin. Or ask the plugin owner make a patch on it.
userHeadPic Angelo.Qiao
userHeadPic Angelo.Qiao
2016-06-08 21:04:09 Hi Angelo,

We are using an apache cordova plugin (cross mobile platform framework). The problem is that any generic BLE plugins following the spec properly will try to write to this descriptor in order to enable notifications. And since it's not there, it's totally right to stop the enable notifications process at this point, and prevent the call to (e.g.: android) gatt.setCharacteristicNotification.

if you use native code directly, you are right, you can bypass this check, but it's more a hack than the actual spec.

Thanks for your reply,
Christian
userHeadPic Nadeau Christian

We are using an apache cordova plugin (cross mobile platform framework). The problem is that any generic BLE plugins following the spec properly will try to write to this descriptor in order to enable notifications. And since it's not there, it's totally right to stop the enable notifications process at this point, and prevent the call to (e.g.: android) gatt.setCharacteristicNotification.

if you use native code directly, you are right, you can bypass this check, but it's more a hack than the actual spec.

Thanks for your reply,
Christian

Thanks for your reply,
Christian
2016-06-08 17:43:42 Hi Don
The descriptor 0x2902 is deprecated in Bluno. Notification on DFB1 is always enabled and cannot be closed.
Just use code like
Code: Select all
gatt.setCharacteristicNotification
to get the notification messages from Bluno.
userHeadPic Angelo.Qiao
The descriptor 0x2902 is deprecated in Bluno. Notification on DFB1 is always enabled and cannot be closed.
Just use code like
userHeadPic Angelo.Qiao
Just use code like
userHeadPic Angelo.Qiao
2016-06-08 15:43:54 And to don.coleman,

Ok, gorge that, but sorry the firmware is preserved. And like above, I will let our team know this bug.
userHeadPic Leff

Ok, gorge that, but sorry the firmware is preserved. And like above, I will let our team know this bug.
userHeadPic Leff

userHeadPic Leff