Mind+General

How effective really are visual programming languages (like MIT's Scratch) for learning?

userHead olientrena738 2020-07-18 21:49:52 13781 Views18 Replies
I have doubts about the effectiveness of visual programming languages as learning tools. Am I alone in this? Many college courses, including Harvard's CS50, begin by teaching students basic concepts with a visual programming language, but are these efforts misguided? I really don't see how something like Scratch is a more intuitive or more effective way for someone to learn what a For loop is. Why not just start out with code?

What are your thoughts?
2023-12-01 23:59:58

Want to add my two cents. I'm starting out in a business of my own and had to accept that I’d have to clumsily throw together a ready made templated website with limited features, due to lack of funds, knowledge and time. WordPress development company Webcapitan https://webcapitan.com/blog/wordpress-vs-custom-cms/ provided me with with a professional website with high quality features. I could never have produced something like that by myself, and could not have afforded to pay experts to do that for me. 

userHeadPic Jacob.Merrill
2021-09-05 16:23:50 I agree with some of answers. In some cases hiring an outsourcing company have lots of advantages. However, how to hand over the reins to a business partner is a real problem. Fortunately, I found article that helped me to make decision about choosing the right IT outsourcing company userHeadPic karina.skrinnik
2021-09-05 16:23:50 I agree with some of answers. In some cases hiring an outsourcing company have lots of advantages. However, how to hand over the reins to a business partner is a real problem. Fortunately, I found article that helped me to make decision about choosing the right IT outsourcing company userHeadPic karina.skrinnik
2021-08-26 01:54:10 I've had this doubt several times last year. I started my own company in the middle of the pandemic, and I must confess, I felt lost in several areas - programming languages was one of them.
At first, I felt visual programming languages for learning felt completely irrelevant and unnecessary. For several months I repeated, "customers only care about the product (which were online classes); they won't even notice if a lack a visual programming language." But then I started investigating the programming world, the different languages, rankings, and even reading articles like this https://distantjob.com/blog/ruby-vs-python/.
The deeper I went, the more I realized visual programming languages were crucial for learning, and we should all include them on our websites (if you have one).
userHeadPic abril
2021-08-26 01:54:10 I've had this doubt several times last year. I started my own company in the middle of the pandemic, and I must confess, I felt lost in several areas - programming languages was one of them.
At first, I felt visual programming languages for learning felt completely irrelevant and unnecessary. For several months I repeated, "customers only care about the product (which were online classes); they won't even notice if a lack a visual programming language." But then I started investigating the programming world, the different languages, rankings, and even reading articles like this https://distantjob.com/blog/ruby-vs-python/.
The deeper I went, the more I realized visual programming languages were crucial for learning, and we should all include them on our websites (if you have one).
userHeadPic abril
2021-08-10 21:52:06 For organizations, chatbot development centers around improving their business measures and give better client experience to their clients. It is additionally being used to serve clients via online media stages userHeadPic ienconor0
2021-08-10 21:52:06 For organizations, chatbot development centers around improving their business measures and give better client experience to their clients. It is additionally being used to serve clients via online media stages userHeadPic ienconor0
2021-07-30 14:08:53 There are lots of different programming languages . Of course it's effective to learn some of them. But before choosing you should understand what kind of software development you are interested in most of all. If you have any questions you had better ask them some development team, like this https://joinsoft.com/industries/banking ... -services/ userHeadPic maria.nagornaja01
2021-07-30 14:08:53 There are lots of different programming languages . Of course it's effective to learn some of them. But before choosing you should understand what kind of software development you are interested in most of all. If you have any questions you had better ask them some development team, like this https://joinsoft.com/industries/banking ... -services/ userHeadPic maria.nagornaja01
2021-07-16 17:10:14 Choosing a programming language for your product is a major challenge. It’s a big decision. There are plenty of programming languages, but usually a couple lend themselves to your particular goals.

Here at SteelKiwi, Python and the Django web framework are our primary tools for backend web development. As one of the leading Python and Django development companies, we have a number of reasons for developing web projects using these technologies. In this article, we’ll tell you what Python and Django are, why they’re so popular, who uses them, and why you should consider Python web development with Django.
userHeadPic aideaker
2021-07-16 17:10:14 Choosing a programming language for your product is a major challenge. It’s a big decision. There are plenty of programming languages, but usually a couple lend themselves to your particular goals.

Here at SteelKiwi, Python and the Django web framework are our primary tools for backend web development. As one of the leading Python and Django development companies, we have a number of reasons for developing web projects using these technologies. In this article, we’ll tell you what Python and Django are, why they’re so popular, who uses them, and why you should consider Python web development with Django.
userHeadPic aideaker
2021-05-11 19:37:22 For me, visual programming languages is one of the new software development trends with a lot of benefits userHeadPic mikekramer083
2021-05-11 19:37:22 For me, visual programming languages is one of the new software development trends with a lot of benefits userHeadPic mikekramer083
2021-04-30 18:19:14 Very interesting post, thank you! Do you use indoor navigation for your business? If no, check out benefits of this software implementation here: https://itechcraft.com/expertise/indoor ... navigation userHeadPic flowermagic27
2021-04-30 18:19:14 Very interesting post, thank you! Do you use indoor navigation for your business? If no, check out benefits of this software implementation here: https://itechcraft.com/expertise/indoor ... navigation userHeadPic flowermagic27
2021-03-31 22:55:49 Visual programming is much better for me to be honest. I like to see what I'm doing userHeadPic szfejtek
2021-03-31 22:55:49 Visual programming is much better for me to be honest. I like to see what I'm doing userHeadPic szfejtek
2020-07-18 21:49:52 I have doubts about the effectiveness of visual programming languages as learning tools. Am I alone in this? Many college courses, including Harvard's CS50, begin by teaching students basic concepts with a visual programming language, but are these efforts misguided? I really don't see how something like Scratch is a more intuitive or more effective way for someone to learn what a For loop is. Why not just start out with code?

What are your thoughts?
userHeadPic olientrena738