Beetle ESP32 C3 - Using PINS 3 and 10 for GPIO?

userHead Josh.Swinnerton 2023-10-31 09:37:34 288 Views2 Replies

I'm trying to get as many pins as possible to use for general digital input/output on a Beetle ESP32-C3.  An extra 1 or 2 would be very helpful.

I noticed on the product page: https://www.dfrobot.com/product-2566.html  that PINS 3 and 10 are marked in the diagram as GPIO, and they've been ‘sort of’ exposed for use on the back of the board, all be it without the hole (a solderable contact point at least).

But given there placement, I also suspect they're used for/by the RESET and BOOT buttons, maybe those buttons input on those two channels (or the on-board LEDs do).

Anybody know if I can take them over for general IO?

Maybe if I was willing to live without the buttons, or the LEDs??

2023-10-31 10:39:40

After checking Schematic, I think you can use IO3 and IO10 as GPIOs.IO3 is connected directly to the ESP32-C3 without passing through any components.IO10 is connected via a 2k resistor to a light emitting diode as LED3, which can also be used as GPIO.

userHeadPic Yeez_B
Josh.Swinnerton wrote:

Thanks Yeez_B!  Yep you're correct, I just tested both pins running them as DigitalInputs, both behaved fine, same other GPIO pins.  Of course driving high signal to IO10 makes the blue LED pulse, but that's a bonus ;-)

No relation between those pins and the Boot and Reset buttons, which is good - now that I take a closer look here at circuit diagram I can see why (just that they line up physically that made me suspicious). 

Soldering to those pads is a bit of pain compared to the ones with holes through, but worth it for the extra two channels.  Thanks Again!!

2023-11-01 13:17:09
1 Replies