General

How to jump to USB mode on WiFi shield V2.1

userHead srrui10 2012-06-27 01:34:31 18735 Views19 Replies
Hi, my final year project is to build the WiFi communication between PC and the Arduino Mega 2560. I have configured my wireless router in AP mode and now I want to configured my WiFi shield. However, when I used the WIZSmartScript for configuration,the 'AT command error' occured. I saw the similar problem topic in this forum, so I tried to write the AT command by using Putty for configuration.But I cannot see any command when I was typing in the command window. I do not know whether it is because that the operating system of my laptop is Win7 or because that I did not turn the switch jumper to USB mode (I thought if I connect the Arduino and my laptop via USB cable, it should automatically be the USB mode. So I did not do this.). I saw the picture and find the position of the switch jumper on the WiFi shield according to the tutorial, but I do not know how to switch it. Could anyone help me solve this problem please.><
2012-07-06 16:48:33 Hi Hector,

Could you please show me how to set these?
[quote="Hector"]

You could also set your PC to a fixed IP address. Then set the wifi shield to look for a connection to that IP address specifically.
[/quote]

By the way, if the connection has been done, how will the PC get sensing date from the Arduino board?
userHeadPic srrui10
2012-07-06 16:48:33 Hi Hector,

Could you please show me how to set these?
[quote="Hector"]

You could also set your PC to a fixed IP address. Then set the wifi shield to look for a connection to that IP address specifically.
[/quote]

By the way, if the connection has been done, how will the PC get sensing date from the Arduino board?
userHeadPic srrui10
2012-07-06 07:37:30 Srrui,

You need to configure the wifi shield to have a fixed IP address. This is done in the configuration. You do not need to do it through JAVA, or the sketch.

userHeadPic Hector
2012-07-06 07:37:30 Srrui,

You need to configure the wifi shield to have a fixed IP address. This is done in the configuration. You do not need to do it through JAVA, or the sketch.

userHeadPic Hector
2012-07-06 00:34:28 Hi, Thank very much for your help. I used Coolterm instead of using Putty to do the configuration for the WiFi shield (server mode, PC would be the client). I also successfully used the sketch like 'blink' (type 1 in Putty, the LED turns on; type 0, the LED turns off) to test the connection.

Now I am going to write a program that the Arduino can send data (from sensor) to PC through this WiFi network and PC could monitor these data. However, I do not know how to define IP addresses of servers and client, and port number and etc (like the example in Ethernet library of Arduino). Can I use Java to program this? or is there any other programming software you recommand?

Rui

[quote="Hector"]
Hi,

Yes, looking at the picture, now the jumpers are in USB mode.

For the Garbled message in Putty. Did you make sure you are using the correct BPS?

115200?
[/quote]
userHeadPic srrui10
2012-07-06 00:34:28 Hi, Thank very much for your help. I used Coolterm instead of using Putty to do the configuration for the WiFi shield (server mode, PC would be the client). I also successfully used the sketch like 'blink' (type 1 in Putty, the LED turns on; type 0, the LED turns off) to test the connection.

Now I am going to write a program that the Arduino can send data (from sensor) to PC through this WiFi network and PC could monitor these data. However, I do not know how to define IP addresses of servers and client, and port number and etc (like the example in Ethernet library of Arduino). Can I use Java to program this? or is there any other programming software you recommand?

Rui

[quote="Hector"]
Hi,

For the Garbled message in Putty. Did you make sure you are using the correct BPS?

115200?
[/quote]
userHeadPic srrui10
2012-06-29 11:01:59 Hi,

115200?

userHeadPic Hector
2012-06-29 11:01:59 Hi,

115200?

userHeadPic Hector
2012-06-29 06:19:44 Dear Hector, I think as you explained, the jumper shown in the picture that I attached before has already been switched to the USB mode. Am I right?
[quote="Hector"]
Hi,

Those in the red box are called "jumpers" you need to physically remove them (pull the up, off of the board). Then move their position, from connecting the right two pins to connecting the left two pins.

so now its like this:
.xx
.xx

It should look like this:
xx.
xx.

I hope you can understand my meaning. the "." is the free pin while the "x" represents the pins connected by the "jumpers"
[/quote]
userHeadPic srrui10
2012-06-29 06:19:44 Dear Hector, I think as you explained, the jumper shown in the picture that I attached before has already been switched to the USB mode. Am I right?
[quote="Hector"]
Hi,

Those in the red box are called "jumpers" you need to physically remove them (pull the up, off of the board). Then move their position, from connecting the right two pins to connecting the left two pins.

so now its like this:
.xx
.xx

xx.
xx.

I hope you can understand my meaning. the "." is the free pin while the "x" represents the pins connected by the "jumpers"
[/quote]
userHeadPic srrui10
2012-06-28 19:46:49 Thank you so much. Your answer is very clear. ^^

However, now I meet another problem. My Windows 7 system is Chinese professional edition. When I type the AT command, the response is garbled even after I changed the Unicode setting in the 'region and language' from Chinese to English. The garbled AT command is shown in the attachment below. Do you know how to solve this problem? Thank you once again!

[quote="Hector"]
Hi,

so now its like this:
.xx
.xx

xx.
xx.

[/quote]
userHeadPic srrui10
2012-06-28 19:46:49 Thank you so much. Your answer is very clear. ^^

However, now I meet another problem. My Windows 7 system is Chinese professional edition. When I type the AT command, the response is garbled even after I changed the Unicode setting in the 'region and language' from Chinese to English. The garbled AT command is shown in the attachment below. Do you know how to solve this problem? Thank you once again!

[quote="Hector"]
Hi,

so now its like this:
.xx
.xx

xx.
xx.

[/quote]
userHeadPic srrui10
2012-06-28 10:04:59 Hi,

so now its like this:
.xx
.xx

xx.
xx.

userHeadPic Hector
2012-06-28 10:04:59 Hi,

so now its like this:
.xx
.xx

xx.
xx.

userHeadPic Hector
2012-06-27 23:36:23 Thank you for your reply. Sorry about my unclear description. I attached the picture of my wifi shield. I read from the tutorial, it shows that the jumper is in red circle. But it just a black block and I cannot switch it. The only switch I found is shown in the blue circle. Is this the right one?
[/img][quote="Hector"]
Hi I'm not sure what you mean by " [left]I do not know how to switch it"[/left]

[font=verdana, sans-serif]You just need to pull the jumpers and switch them.[/font]

[font=verdana, sans-serif]Also, for putty you might need to make some changes to the settings, please check the picture attached. [/font]

[font=verdana, sans-serif]And, with USB attached, it is not automatic. The jumper settings determines what has access to the Tx/Rx port.[/font]
[/quote]
userHeadPic srrui10
2012-06-27 23:36:23 Thank you for your reply. Sorry about my unclear description. I attached the picture of my wifi shield. I read from the tutorial, it shows that the jumper is in red circle. But it just a black block and I cannot switch it. The only switch I found is shown in the blue circle. Is this the right one?
[/img][quote="Hector"]
Hi I'm not sure what you mean by " [left]I do not know how to switch it"[/left]

[font=verdana, sans-serif]You just need to pull the jumpers and switch them.[/font]

[font=verdana, sans-serif]Also, for putty you might need to make some changes to the settings, please check the picture attached. [/font]

[font=verdana, sans-serif]And, with USB attached, it is not automatic. The jumper settings determines what has access to the Tx/Rx port.[/font]
[/quote]
userHeadPic srrui10
2012-06-27 10:06:54 Hi I'm not sure what you mean by " [left]I do not know how to switch it"[/left]

userHeadPic Hector
2012-06-27 10:06:54 Hi I'm not sure what you mean by " [left]I do not know how to switch it"[/left]

userHeadPic Hector
2012-06-27 01:34:31 Hi, my final year project is to build the WiFi communication between PC and the Arduino Mega 2560. I have configured my wireless router in AP mode and now I want to configured my WiFi shield. However, when I used the WIZSmartScript for configuration,the 'AT command error' occured. I saw the similar problem topic in this forum, so I tried to write the AT command by using Putty for configuration.But I cannot see any command when I was typing in the command window. I do not know whether it is because that the operating system of my laptop is Win7 or because that I did not turn the switch jumper to USB mode (I thought if I connect the Arduino and my laptop via USB cable, it should automatically be the USB mode. So I did not do this.). I saw the picture and find the position of the switch jumper on the WiFi shield according to the tutorial, but I do not know how to switch it. Could anyone help me solve this problem please.>< userHeadPic srrui10