ArduinoGeneral

Basic Question to WIFI Shield For Arduino (802.11 b/g)

userHead madc 2011-08-14 17:44:28 6558 Views3 Replies
Hey.

I just stumbled over this WIFI Shield For Arduino[1] and try to figure out, if it fits my needs. I read, that is basically serves as a bridge between serial port and wifi.

I need to get data from sensors on the arduino inputs and transmit them via wifi and via ethernet as a fallback. I was wondering, if this would be possible with your module.

best,
/m

[1] http://www.dfrobot.com/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=wifi&category_id=0&description=1&model=1&product_id=198
2011-08-16 10:34:40 Hi Madc,

On the Arduino-Wifi shield side, the Arduino communicates via serial on its Tx/Rx port.

On the Wifi/Ethernet-Router(or computer/ internet) side the wifi shield communicates via TCP (I think UDP is also available, but I haven't tried it).

So lets say you assign your Wifi shield the 192.168.0.177:5000 IP/port.

You would need to connect to it via a terminal like Putty and you would be able to send and receive data that way.

I hope this answers your question. Otherwise let me know!

Hector
userHeadPic Hector
2011-08-15 23:23:12 Hey Hector,
thanks for the fast reply.

What I need, is an Arduino as standalone device (not connected to any pc via usb), that transmit sensor-data (via UDP if possible) to a server application running on a pc in the local network via wifi or via ethernet if there is no wifi connection. It also will resceive commands from this pc.

Is that possible with your shield?

thanks,
/m
userHeadPic madc
2011-08-15 11:05:21 Hi Madc,

Where do you need to transmit the data to? The Wifi shield will transmit the data you send to it by "Serial.print" command to an IP address you choose. So you should be able to connect to it from another PC and monitor the information being sent. However, it does not have the capability to send the information directly to a website. You could write python script on your PC to do that for you.
userHeadPic Hector