ArduinoGeneral

Bluetooth Bee v2.0 problem

userHead kolai 2011-12-22 14:10:17 12085 Views19 Replies
Good day everyone, I just bought my Bluetooth Bee, I'm new with this Bluetooth wireless interfacing using arduino. I really don't know how use, interface, or even test it. I stumbled upon its wiki, and yes i understood all its trying to say (nice work, by the way) but, the problem is, i still can't make it work/test.

My setup is Arduino Mega 2560 + Mega IO shield v1.2 for arduino Mega + bluetooth bee. I used the shield's Xbee socket for the bluetooth bee.

Please help. Thank you and more power DFRobot.
2015-09-18 11:18:29 Hello,
Welcome!

I am Leff, the tech support at DF, I saw this post was in 2011. At that time, we sold BT2.0 devices, but now it's BLE4.0. I am not sure which one you bought from us? Could you give me your SKU num?

And I noticed that the link led is green as you said, so it was connected as you suppose.

The next step might be very simple: If you have bought the BLE4.0 devices, you can follow the article to get familiar with it:
Bluno Beetle Simple Tutorial (With Explanatory Images)
unknownx86 wrote:Hi Hector,
I had the same problem. I am using the same components for an University project. I copied your code and if I am connected with USB everything works fine. But if I am connected with Bluetooth I dont get any reply. The Bluetooth Bee link led is green, so I think I am connected. I used xubuntu and remote app for it.
userHeadPic Leff
2015-09-18 11:18:29 Hello,
Welcome!

I am Leff, the tech support at DF, I saw this post was in 2011. At that time, we sold BT2.0 devices, but now it's BLE4.0. I am not sure which one you bought from us? Could you give me your SKU num?

And I noticed that the link led is green as you said, so it was connected as you suppose.

The next step might be very simple: If you have bought the BLE4.0 devices, you can follow the article to get familiar with it:
Bluno Beetle Simple Tutorial (With Explanatory Images)
unknownx86 wrote:Hi Hector,
I had the same problem. I am using the same components for an University project. I copied your code and if I am connected with USB everything works fine. But if I am connected with Bluetooth I dont get any reply. The Bluetooth Bee link led is green, so I think I am connected. I used xubuntu and remote app for it.
userHeadPic Leff
2015-09-17 23:21:53 Hi Hector,
userHeadPic unknownx86
2015-09-17 23:21:53 Hi Hector,
userHeadPic unknownx86
2011-12-28 10:25:13 Hmm, that's very strange.

is your phone rooted? Would you consider upgrading to a newer version of Android (if its possible)? (also, that's not guaranteed to work). I really don't know, but sometimes bluetooth devices can be a bit finicky. I have a Galaxy SII with Android 2.3.4 and it picks up the bluetooth bee just fine.

userHeadPic Hector
2011-12-28 10:25:13 Hmm, that's very strange.

is your phone rooted? Would you consider upgrading to a newer version of Android (if its possible)? (also, that's not guaranteed to work). I really don't know, but sometimes bluetooth devices can be a bit finicky. I have a Galaxy SII with Android 2.3.4 and it picks up the bluetooth bee just fine.

userHeadPic Hector
2011-12-27 19:31:29 Ahmm I'm using "Samsung I5500 Galaxy 5","Android Version 2.2" and it has Bluetooth version 2.1 with A2DP.

I'm able to find the Bluetooth bee on other phones not running android OS.. and even my Samsung phone running BADA OS discovered the Bluetooth Bee.
userHeadPic kolai
2011-12-27 19:31:29 Ahmm I'm using "Samsung I5500 Galaxy 5","Android Version 2.2" and it has Bluetooth version 2.1 with A2DP.

I'm able to find the Bluetooth bee on other phones not running android OS.. and even my Samsung phone running BADA OS discovered the Bluetooth Bee.
userHeadPic kolai
2011-12-27 10:26:01 hmmm?? Not sure. Which Android version, Cell brand/model are you using? userHeadPic Hector
2011-12-27 10:26:01 hmmm?? Not sure. Which Android version, Cell brand/model are you using? userHeadPic Hector
2011-12-26 19:41:55 Hector, Thank you so much.... ;D

It worked..

My last problem is that my Android phone still can't find the bluetooth..

What do you think sis the problem?
userHeadPic kolai
2011-12-26 19:41:55 Hector, Thank you so much.... ;D

It worked..

My last problem is that my Android phone still can't find the bluetooth..

What do you think sis the problem?
userHeadPic kolai
2011-12-26 18:31:01 Hi Kolai,

To be able to enter AT Command mode you need to use an Xbee usb adapter. You won't be able to do it from your MEGA.

In Windows are you able to connect to other bluetooth devices? (like your Cell).

to test the bluetooth bee, disconnect everything else from the MEGA and Expansion shield. Just leave the 3 components connected, and supply power from an external power source. Should be between 5 to 10Vdc. USB power is not a good idea since the PC will pickup the Arduino on a comm port.

The ASSOC LED means"asssociate" which if its blinking fast means that its looking for a connection.

Once the bee is connected the ASSOC LED will blink twice then off for a sec, and repeat. A green "Link" LED will turn on, on the bee.

When you do a search for it on windows it should come up as 1 of 3 things: "bluetooth" or "bluetooth bee" or "Bluetooth_V3" the connection code is 1234

Its a good idea to turn off any other bluetooth device you might have in the area.

Which version of windows are you using?

If you successfully connect to the bee try this sample code:

[code]

/*
  Blink
  Turns on an LED on for one second, then off for one second, repeatedly.

This example code is in the public domain.
*/

void setup() {               
  // initialize the digital pin as an output.
  // Pin 13 has an LED connected on most Arduino boards:
  pinMode(13, OUTPUT); 
  Serial.begin(9600);
  Serial.println("  Lets test the bluetooth module");
  Serial.println("Press 1 to light the LED, and 2 to turn it off");
  Serial.println("Entery: "); 
  digitalWrite(13, HIGH);
}

void loop() {
  if (Serial.available()){
  char input = Serial.read();
  switch (input){
  case '1': //turn led on
  digitalWrite(13, HIGH);  // set the LED on
  delay(100);              // wait for a second
  Serial.println("it works on!!"); 
  break;
  case '2':
  digitalWrite(13, LOW);    // set the LED off
  Serial.println("it works off!!");
  break;
}
  }
}
[/code]
userHeadPic Hector
2011-12-26 18:31:01 Hi Kolai,

To be able to enter AT Command mode you need to use an Xbee usb adapter. You won't be able to do it from your MEGA.

In Windows are you able to connect to other bluetooth devices? (like your Cell).

to test the bluetooth bee, disconnect everything else from the MEGA and Expansion shield. Just leave the 3 components connected, and supply power from an external power source. Should be between 5 to 10Vdc. USB power is not a good idea since the PC will pickup the Arduino on a comm port.

The ASSOC LED means"asssociate" which if its blinking fast means that its looking for a connection.

Once the bee is connected the ASSOC LED will blink twice then off for a sec, and repeat. A green "Link" LED will turn on, on the bee.

When you do a search for it on windows it should come up as 1 of 3 things: "bluetooth" or "bluetooth bee" or "Bluetooth_V3" the connection code is 1234

Its a good idea to turn off any other bluetooth device you might have in the area.

Which version of windows are you using?

If you successfully connect to the bee try this sample code:

[code]

/*
  Blink
  Turns on an LED on for one second, then off for one second, repeatedly.

This example code is in the public domain.
*/

void setup() {               
  // initialize the digital pin as an output.
  // Pin 13 has an LED connected on most Arduino boards:
  pinMode(13, OUTPUT); 
  Serial.begin(9600);
  Serial.println("  Lets test the bluetooth module");
  Serial.println("Press 1 to light the LED, and 2 to turn it off");
  Serial.println("Entery: "); 
  digitalWrite(13, HIGH);
}

void loop() {
  if (Serial.available()){
  char input = Serial.read();
  switch (input){
  case '1': //turn led on
  digitalWrite(13, HIGH);  // set the LED on
  Serial.println("it works on!!"); 
  break;
  case '2':
  digitalWrite(13, LOW);    // set the LED off
  Serial.println("it works off!!");
  break;
}
  }
}
[/code]
userHeadPic Hector
2011-12-23 20:08:35 Thank you so much for the video Hector,

But still, i can't detect the Bluetooth Bee using my laptop and even my Android phone.  ;D
These are the things i've done so far.
-My setup for this project is an Arduino Mega 2560 +  Mega IO Arduino Expansion Shield V1.2 + Bluetooth Bee.
-I've attached the Shield on the arduino mega 2560, and attached the Bluetooth Bee on the Shield,because it has a built in Xbee socket.
-After I've finished some attachments, i don't know if i should upload a program in the arduino to be able to make the Bluetooth Bee discoverable, so, i applied power via my laptop's usb port.
-The arduino turned on with its shield, there is a blinking LED under the Bluetooth Bee which is labeled "ASSOC", i don't really know what it means, so i tried searching the Bluetooth via phone and laptop,but still i can't detect it.
-I tried using AT mode and using the arduino serial monitor,there is no response.

Is there something wrong with my setup?
Is there a need of a program to be uploaded in arduino.

*kolai
userHeadPic kolai
2011-12-23 20:08:35 Thank you so much for the video Hector,

But still, i can't detect the Bluetooth Bee using my laptop and even my Android phone.  ;D
These are the things i've done so far.
-My setup for this project is an Arduino Mega 2560 +  Mega IO Arduino Expansion Shield V1.2 + Bluetooth Bee.
-I've attached the Shield on the arduino mega 2560, and attached the Bluetooth Bee on the Shield,because it has a built in Xbee socket.
-After I've finished some attachments, i don't know if i should upload a program in the arduino to be able to make the Bluetooth Bee discoverable, so, i applied power via my laptop's usb port.
-The arduino turned on with its shield, there is a blinking LED under the Bluetooth Bee which is labeled "ASSOC", i don't really know what it means, so i tried searching the Bluetooth via phone and laptop,but still i can't detect it.
-I tried using AT mode and using the arduino serial monitor,there is no response.

Is there something wrong with my setup?
Is there a need of a program to be uploaded in arduino.

*kolai
userHeadPic kolai
2011-12-23 12:00:18 Hi Kolai,

Welcome to the forum. Have you seen this youtube video: [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT31q1vdhAg&context=C3ac5875ADOEgsToPDskK7ytItLh2HTlIQMXVIgD-T]Bluetooth video[/url]

It has some info about setting up a bluetooth module and communicating with it.  I'm not sure if its clear in the video, but take a look.

Could you tell me what you have tried?

The Bee works just like a serial port, so you should be able to connect to it through a comm port, and communicate with the Arduino like that.
userHeadPic Hector
2011-12-23 12:00:18 Hi Kolai,

Welcome to the forum. Have you seen this youtube video: [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT31q1vdhAg&context=C3ac5875ADOEgsToPDskK7ytItLh2HTlIQMXVIgD-T]Bluetooth video[/url]

It has some info about setting up a bluetooth module and communicating with it.  I'm not sure if its clear in the video, but take a look.

Could you tell me what you have tried?

The Bee works just like a serial port, so you should be able to connect to it through a comm port, and communicate with the Arduino like that.
userHeadPic Hector
2011-12-22 14:10:17 Good day everyone, I just bought my Bluetooth Bee, I'm new with this Bluetooth wireless interfacing using arduino. I really don't know how use, interface, or even test it. I stumbled upon its wiki, and yes i understood all its trying to say (nice work, by the way) but, the problem is, i still can't make it work/test.

My setup is Arduino Mega 2560 + Mega IO shield v1.2 for arduino Mega + bluetooth bee. I used the shield's Xbee socket for the bluetooth bee.

Please help. Thank you and more power DFRobot.
userHeadPic kolai