General

Build a webserver with arduino

userHead McNulty 2011-11-17 21:39:37 17489 Views16 Replies

Hi all,

First of all, excuses for my English, my speaking is much better

I would like to build a webserver with the arduino Mega board and a wifi shield. I want to read data from the arduino and control it trough a website.

Does anyone here have some experience with this?
Which wifi shield can I use for this project, that 's still available wright now?
Are there some examples of code available for the arduino?

Thx
McNulty

2011-12-15 03:05:02 Hector -

I found that in the WizSmartScript.  There is a need to Start the script, then quickly stop and start it again and then the command works!

Thought it might be helpful to share.
userHeadPic stefenkaur
2011-12-15 03:05:02 Hector -

I found that in the WizSmartScript.  There is a need to Start the script, then quickly stop and start it again and then the command works!

Thought it might be helpful to share.
userHeadPic stefenkaur
2011-12-15 00:47:08 manolis -  I too purchased the Wifi v2.1.  See the attachments of all the documentation I have found so far.

Things I learned so far are the WIZSmart Script Utility only works on Windows 32-bit. 

I cannot connect to the device using the utility, says "AT COMMAND ERROR"

In my Arduino case, I am using a Windows on Parallels as a virtual machine, I connect to the Arduino board and upload to it fine by itself.

However, when I attach the Wifi shield, upon upload I get this "avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0xde" .

I'll keep you posted with my progress and I hope you do the same. 

userHeadPic stefenkaur
2011-12-15 00:47:08 manolis -  I too purchased the Wifi v2.1.  See the attachments of all the documentation I have found so far.

Things I learned so far are the WIZSmart Script Utility only works on Windows 32-bit. 

I cannot connect to the device using the utility, says "AT COMMAND ERROR"

In my Arduino case, I am using a Windows on Parallels as a virtual machine, I connect to the Arduino board and upload to it fine by itself.

However, when I attach the Wifi shield, upon upload I get this "avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0xde" .

I'll keep you posted with my progress and I hope you do the same. 

userHeadPic stefenkaur
2011-12-14 16:05:34 Manolis,

Have you read through the tutorial included in the product page? I'm not sure what you mean by send information to a server? This Wifi shield only uses the Arduino Tx/Rx pins for serial communication, so you are limited to sending information through wifi to a hyperterminal. You can use some "processing" or "python" code to monitor this hyperterminal connection and perform actions based on the received information.

userHeadPic Hector
2011-12-14 16:05:34 Manolis,

Have you read through the tutorial included in the product page? I'm not sure what you mean by send information to a server? This Wifi shield only uses the Arduino Tx/Rx pins for serial communication, so you are limited to sending information through wifi to a hyperterminal. You can use some "processing" or "python" code to monitor this hyperterminal connection and perform actions based on the received information.

userHeadPic Hector
2011-12-14 12:11:04 Hi Hector,

I have bought the DFRobot WiFi Shield V2.1 but I'm a bit lost.
are there any tutorials with a walkthrough on how to send information to
a server?

Thanks a lot,
Manolis
userHeadPic manolis
2011-12-14 12:11:04 Hi Hector,

I have bought the DFRobot WiFi Shield V2.1 but I'm a bit lost.
are there any tutorials with a walkthrough on how to send information to
a server?

Thanks a lot,
Manolis
userHeadPic manolis
2011-12-08 10:22:12 Hi,

We were talking about the previous version. But when we say an Arduino web server, and connecting as "client" or "server" is two different things.

1. Arduino Web server: An Arduino sketch which is actually providing a website to connect to through a specified IP Address, which the user can interact with and send commands to in order to manipulate the Arduino.

2. Wifi connection as server: The Wifi Module on the shield waits for an incoming connection request from a remote device in order to establish a connection. This connection does not in it's self provide any website or service, simply  a connection.

These wifi shields (v1 and V2) behave similarly in that they only use the Rx/Tx pins of the arduino and therefore are unable to provide fancy communications protocols. They are limited to only serial communications.

If you really want to provide internet connectivity or a web server to your projects I suggest using the Xboard along with a pair of Xbee modules.

userHeadPic Hector
2011-12-08 10:22:12 Hi,

We were talking about the previous version. But when we say an Arduino web server, and connecting as "client" or "server" is two different things.

1. Arduino Web server: An Arduino sketch which is actually providing a website to connect to through a specified IP Address, which the user can interact with and send commands to in order to manipulate the Arduino.

2. Wifi connection as server: The Wifi Module on the shield waits for an incoming connection request from a remote device in order to establish a connection. This connection does not in it's self provide any website or service, simply  a connection.

These wifi shields (v1 and V2) behave similarly in that they only use the Rx/Tx pins of the arduino and therefore are unable to provide fancy communications protocols. They are limited to only serial communications.

If you really want to provide internet connectivity or a web server to your projects I suggest using the Xboard along with a pair of Xbee modules.

userHeadPic Hector
2011-12-08 05:48:46 Are you talking about this WiFi Shield V2.1?

http://www.dfrobot.com/index.php?route= ... uct_id=548

According to the documentation it can be a client or server.

http://www.dfrobot.com/image/data/TEL00 ... 20V101.pdf
userHeadPic stefenkaur
2011-12-08 05:48:46 Are you talking about this WiFi Shield V2.1?

http://www.dfrobot.com/index.php?route= ... uct_id=548

According to the documentation it can be a client or server.

http://www.dfrobot.com/image/data/TEL00 ... 20V101.pdf
userHeadPic stefenkaur
2011-12-02 18:15:45 Hi,

sorry, this WiFi shield can not run a webserver, it can only do serial communications. You could setup a webserver on your pc and have it listen for your wifi shield to provide information to it, and send information to it serially. That is the alternative.
userHeadPic Hector
2011-12-02 18:15:45 Hi,

sorry, this WiFi shield can not run a webserver, it can only do serial communications. You could setup a webserver on your pc and have it listen for your wifi shield to provide information to it, and send information to it serially. That is the alternative.
userHeadPic Hector
2011-12-02 18:03:53 Thx Hector.

I have bought the DFrobot wifi shield. I followed the tutorial succesfully: https://wiki.dfrobot.com/WiFi_Shield_Fo ... U_TEL0019_

But now i want more then light up a LED.

Is it possible to run a webserver on this shield? Is there comming a tutorial for this also?
Or is there a sketch available?

Grtz,
McNulty
userHeadPic McNulty
2011-12-02 18:03:53 Thx Hector.

I have bought the DFrobot wifi shield. I followed the tutorial succesfully: https://wiki.dfrobot.com/WiFi_Shield_Fo ... U_TEL0019_

But now i want more then light up a LED.

Is it possible to run a webserver on this shield? Is there comming a tutorial for this also?
Or is there a sketch available?

Grtz,
McNulty
userHeadPic McNulty