Troubleshooting

SEN0395 stops working when disconnecting serial interface

userHead Mario.Verhaeg 2023-03-20 18:37:39 402 Views7 Replies

Hi,

I have multiple SEN0395 (mmWave) sensors which all show the same behavior. Everything is working fine as long as the serial port is connected (to a Raspberry Pi). I can configure the sensor and the GPIO port sends out HIGH based on that configuration. The serial port works as well (output below).

However, as soon as I disconnect the serial port the sensor seems to stop the detection process. The LED on the sensor itself stops blinking (transitions into steady red) and the GPIO output level does not change when I move in front of the sensor. The LED on the sensor itself also stops blinking when I execute the “sensorStop” command. This leads me to believe that the sensor stops the detection process as soon as the serial port is disconnected. I've tried to change the start behavior using “sensorCfgStart 1” but that also didn't change the behavior. 

I would like to configure the sensor using the serial port, and then operate it only using the GPIO, connecting multiple sensors to the same Raspberry Pi. I'm using this Raspberry Pi for other purposes as well. If I'm forced to connect the serial port, I will run into some scalability issues or I need to move to a different (ESP-based?) concept. 

Can you give me some help or point me in the right direction?

$JYBSS,0, , , *
$JYBSS,0, , , *
$JYBSS,0, , , *
$JYBSS,1, , , *
$JYBSS,1, , , *
$JYBSS,1, , , *
$JYBSS,1, , , *
$JYBSS,1, , , *
$JYBSS,1, , , *
$JYBSS,1, , , *
$JYBSS,1, , , *
$JYBSS,1, , , *
$JYBSS,1, , , *
$JYBSS,1, , , *
$JYBSS,0, , , *
$JYBSS,0, , , *

GPIO 5: level=0 fsel=0 func=INPUT pull=UP
GPIO 5: level=1 fsel=0 func=INPUT pull=UP
GPIO 5: level=0 fsel=0 func=INPUT pull=U

2023-03-24 11:06:38

We have tested the sensor without RX and TX connected, and it worked fine.

It could be a hardware problem.

Please contact [email protected] for after-sell service.

userHeadPic NeloKin
2023-03-23 14:28:32

Could you please try comment these lines in the codes? it could be the code stack at reading the serial port, while the RX and TX is unplugged.

userHeadPic NeloKin
Mario.Verhaeg wrote:

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean, but this is not a software thing. The LED stops blinking when I unplug RX/TX. This means the sensor stops its detection process. 

2023-03-23 15:43:03
1 Replies
2023-03-22 19:31:01

Any news?

userHeadPic Mario.Verhaeg
2023-03-21 15:42:10

Additionally: the sensor does automatically start after power-on, but only when the serial port is connected. This tells me the “sensorCfgStart 1” is doing something, but it somehow relies on the serial port connection.

2023-03-21 15:38:50

Thank you for your suggestion. I've tried to use both “sensorCfgStart 1” and sensorCfgStart 1m", and save the configuration using “saveCfg 0x45670123 0xCDEF89AB 0x956128C6 0xDF54AC89”.

The behavior doesn't change: the sensor LED stops blinking when I disconnect the serial interface and automatically starts again when I connect the serial port. When I disconnect the 5V, disconnect the serial port, and reconnect the 5V the sensor does not automatically start (LED steady red). 

I've also tried a factory default, but that also didn't help.

Am I doing something wrong? Can you send me the exact commands that I should use after a factory default?

2023-03-21 11:07:33

mmWave Radar - Human Presence Detection Sensor(SKU:SEN0395) can be used without serial connection, as long as you modify the mode.

Could you please change the start-up Mode to 1m? So it will work directly as on as you power it.

Here is the API.

You can find more information in our WIKI page.

https://wiki.dfrobot.com/mmWave_Radar_Human_Presence_Detection_SKU_SEN0395

userHeadPic NeloKin